PTUJ - SLOVENIA'S OLDEST TOWN


The fact that I'm kinda in love with the country of Slovenia shouldn't be much of a secret anymore, at least if you've been reading my blog for a little while. - it even has got love in it's name, so how couldn't you? Before going there for the first time I knew nearly nothing about it and therefore got surprised even more. So whenever I get the chance and have the time for a little weekend trip, Slovenia comes to mind first. Today I wanna share some photos with you, of my trip to Slovenia's oldest town - Ptuj! Even though these photos were taken many moons ago, back in autumn of 2016, I never got around to sharing these with you, which is such a shame. 



First things first: the castle. Ptuj castle (slov. Ptujski Grad) was built in the mid-12 century to defend against the Hungarians. It's situated on a hill alongside the river Drava and from up there you have a great view over the town of Ptuj. As you may know by know, I love looking at cities, towns and landscapes from above.. I just love that perspective. So it was only right that we went for the castle at the very beginning.

Ptuj Castle

Ptuj Castle





After we'd had a closer look on the castle, enjoyed the view from up there and took a few photos, we were ready to dive into the narrow alleys of the town and to explore everything from up close. Once we were back down in the town center, we wandered around for a little while, then headed to the river Drava (germ. Drau), which we wandered alongside until we found a bench, sat down for quite some time, and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. 




Ptuj is the oldest recorded city in Slovenia, as the title already gave away. It has been inhabited since the late Stone Age and was developed from a Roman military fort. Ptuj is located in the region of Lower Styria (which Maribor is the largest city of) and is home to nearly 24000 people nowadays.





Those autumnal colors, I'm in love!



After having spent a lot of time wandering around, it was time for some tea and hot chocolate, which we got at this cute little place called "Muzikafe", which is both a bed & breakfast and a café. The style and the flair of this place is one of a kind and I absolutely loved it! Definitely recommend you'd stop by there. Outside of it, there's a Book Exchange Station, which looks like an old shower cabinet, but there are free books in there which you could either read there or take home with you, in exchange for another book. Which I think is such a cool concept. (I know it's nothing really new, but still) Unfortunately most books were in Slovenian and I also hadn't had a book with me, so I couldn't exchange one.






"You are never too old to play in the leaves 🍃🍂🍁 ", so that's what we did before we headed back home. Felt like a little child again, but I honestly had so much fun 😅

xo, Lena


also can't get enough of Slovenia?


 follow me on: Bloglovin // Facebook // Instagram



4 comments:

  1. OMG :O this swan is sooo gorgeous <3 ... ok, u r pretty too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool .. I like that you also talk about the history!
    But this place is pretty nice! ��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks!
      it really is, you should pay it a visit someday :)

      Delete